Craft gifts you make in minutes, but are loved forever
Signe Peterson isn’t a fan of idle hands. A CaringBridge volunteer and sometimes-caregiver, she often makes crafts for people who might need a little day-brightening.
“This no-sew fleece craft project is inspired by my sister,” says Signe. “When she graduated from high school she and her friends, to remember each other and the good times they shared — made fleece tie blankets in the school colors.”
Ties that Bind
To honor the CaringBridge logo, I created this fleece craft project in the shape of a heart. It‘s quick to make (20 minutes from start to finish) and something you, as a caregiver, can easily create for a family member or friend who’d appreciate it.
- two 24” x 24” squares of fleece
Making your Pillow
Choose your favorite colors of fleece and fabric.
1. To cut two identical heart shapes from the fleece, fold the two sheets in half, cut the heart shape, and place the final folded heart on the folded fabric. Simply follow the edge of the first fleece heart to make two identical fabric ones.
2. Stack the two pieces of fabric on top of each other so that the edges align.
3. Cut along the border to create fringes about 1” apart and 4” long (you can do this freehand, or draw lines with a ruler and fabric chalk).
4. Tie the fringes, leaving four or five untied so you can stuff the pillow.
5. Stuff with fiberfill and tie the remaining fringe. You may want to double-knot any spots that need extra support.
Want more artsy ideas?
Here are some crafts-from-the-heart for you and the 65 million other caregivers out there who can’t do enough. It’s our way of celebrating Caregiver Month – and you.
Take a look at a “get-well-soon” craft idea.